Thursday, June 24, 2004

A linguistic adventure!

Gotta throw this in here too. With english being our default language here in the states, it's quite amusing to come across those born and bred here, that have such a poor understanding of it. Now, some things are easily dismissed, like "aluminum". That one's a pain.
There are also words from other languages that have worked thier way into our daily conversations, and usually, these are bantered about in a friendly manner, not to poke fun at their origins.
I don't consider myself "hip", I'm too old for that stuff, but I do keep up with the lingos from different areas of town and society.
Take the Germanic word �"über". This is pronouced (by 99.999% of the people I've heard use it), as "oober".
So, imagine my confusion the first time IR said, "Man, they've got some pretty ubber stuff." Yes, he pronouced it exactly the way I spelled it. "ubber", like rubber without the 'r'. *sigh*

Next, if you've ever played Dungeons and Dragons, or any other fantasy type game, you've most likely come across an 'ogre'. Pronouced "o-ger" with a long 'o'. Well, apparently in all his years of warring with the make-believe beasties, IR never figured this out. The first time I heard him mention this particular monster, it was to say "Well, ya know, if you ever do run into an "ahgruh" in this game, you kind have to, ya know, run."
"ahgruh".... Let's examine that. Short 'o' sound, then 'gruh'. 'ah'..... 'gruh'.....
ahgruh! Interesting, no?

So much for that intriguingly high level of intelligence, eh?

No comments: